The perfect meal for your pre New Years festivities. Guaranteed to keep you coherent enough to remember 12:00:01am. Beyond that, it’s up to you and your liquor choices.
My parents visited me for a couple days post Christmas when I finally had some time off work. We had a wonderful visit including other family members and friends, lots of tea, and grain free food and goodies.. and I made this gem with some help from mi madre! It was a hit. This isn’t the fastest recipe ever, but it’s great because you can make a ton and eat it for a week or freeze some for lazy snowy days. It’s my take on a no bean chili packed with meat and veggies.
– 1lb ground beef
– 1lb turkey sausage
– 4 sliced carrots
– 4 sliced celery stalks
– 14oz diced tomatoes (not salt added ect)
– 6oz tomato paste
– 1 1/2 diced medium yellow onion
– 2 chopped scallions
– 4 diced garlic cloves
– 1C chicken stalk
– 4-6 tbsp olive oil
– 2 diced jalapeños (1 at a time)
– 1 bay leaf
– 2 tsp basil
– 2 tsp paprika
– 1 tsp cumin
>prep time: 5 minutes
>cook time: 30 minutes being attended to, 30 minutes unattended
1. Put your onions, scallions, and garlic on your large French or Dutch oven with 2-3 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add a pinch of salt, cracked pepper, basil, bay leaf, & paprika.
2. Dice and add your carrots, peppers, 1 jalapeño. Stir pot occasionally for 10-15 minutes (until carrots are soft by a fork). Then put veggies aside in a bowl.
3. Add another couple tbsp of oil into the same pan and add your beef and turkey. (Take sausage out of casing). Cook your meat through, about 15 minutes on medium heat. Add pinch of salt, & cumin, and keep your bay leaf. Add the second chopped jalapeño.
4. Add your veggies back in and add your celery, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken stalk.
5. Mix until its all incorporated.
6. Low and slow for 30 minutes with the lid. (My 30 minutes ended up being more like 40 minutes because my dad was helping to hang shelves in the apt, lol. The longer it simmers the more flavorful it will be, 30 minutes is great, but if you are busy cleaning the house or take a shower and you need some extra time, leaving it on the stove for a bit longer will be fine).
7. Taste! More salt and pepper perhaps?
Really good the next day too! The flavors only developed more as they were sitting together. Yuuuummm. Alsoooo, I made this doubley delicious because I made a killer sweet potato mash to accompany this bad boy as a bed for it. Go big or go home! 😉