This recipe my mom introduced me to a few years ago. We both guiltily love watching “The Next Food Network Star” and so my mom watched Aarti’s first episode or two. She made the original of this recipe and passed it along to me since she liked it so much. I decided to make a few changes… Which I’m loving! I had this tonight with salmon… and one (or a few) glasses of champagne… while watching the Oscars. Hey, I haven’t worked an overnight in 6 days- I’m celebrating! 😉 I’ve also seen three whole movies nominated for awards tonight… so I’m suuuuper interested and invested in the awards. HA.
>Prep time: 15 minutes
>Cook time: 0
-1 bushel of Kale
-1 mango 1 lemon
-1/3 small red onion
-3 tablespoons + a drizzle olive oil
-2 tsp honey
-Pinch of salt
-Several twists of cracked black pepper
1. Remove and discard the stems of your kale and rip or chop the leaves into bite sized pieces. Wash the kale and dry completely. Place in large bowl.
2. Cut your lemon in half and squeeze the juice of one half lemon over the kale. Add a small pinch of salt.
3. Massage the kale with your (clean!) hands for 2 minutes. Kale is a bit rough, so this softens it.
4. Finely slice your 1/3 red onion and add to kale.
5. Mix your honey, juice from 1/2 lemon, salt, pepper, & olive oil in a bowl until its whisked together nicely.
6. Drizzle dressing onto salad and mix together.
7. (Peel) and dice your mango and add to your salad. Toss and taste. (I then added a bit more pepper & salt).
This is awesome with seafood I’ve had variations of this with scallops, shrimp, and salmon. Love it, so refreshing and very simple!