As you might know, I’ve been doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox (Level 3/energy modification) these past 15 days (as noted here and here and here). I have been craving sweet. Last week I went to a friends pot-luck birthday celebration. Someone brought a super awesome home made squash pie with a crumble top. Of course it was sweet (it had brown sugar in it). I didn’t have a lot, and I wouldn’t have even had it exceppppt for the fact that I’ve never had squash pie before and I was so curious! It was for research people!! I have been wanting to make a 21DSD version of that since I tried it. Here it goes: (And also, yes, it would be better with some honey in the pie and coconut crystals in the crumble… I am totally trying it that way once I’m done with this detox. I will keep you abreast..) Buuuut, the upside about this pie not having any sweeteners in it, is that I can have some with breakfast aaaaand have it for dessert. Cool right?!
Note: Would be wicked awesome with chocolate chips in the crumble and/or in the pie!!!
Serves: 8-10 people
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
- 1 1/2 Cups roasted butternut squash
- 1 1/2 Cups roasted sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1/2 Cup coconut milk (homemade)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the pie filling ingredients (except for the coconut oil) into a large bowl and mix everything thoroughly together, I used an electric hand blender. (A stand mixer would be awesome if you’re fancy like that)
2. Oil your pyrex pie dish with the coconut oil. Pour the batter into the dish and bake for 45 minutes.
3. While the pie is baking, make the crumble top.
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts (can use any nut/nuts combination… pecans would be great- but I ran out..)
- 1/4 Cup almond flour
- 1/4 Cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 Cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
1. Combine all crumble ingredients in a small bowl and thoroughly mix them together. (You can either let it sit out and wait for the pie to cook for 45 minutes, or you can put it in the fridge.)
2. Once the pie has cooked for 45 minutes, sprinkle the crumble top over the pie. The crumble will cover the top of the pie 70%- I didn’t wan’t to overwhelm the pie with crumble. If you want more- make more!
3. Bake the pie for another 25 minutes.